Ocular Diseases and Prevention
Ocular disease is any disease that affects your vision and eye health. Many different types of conditions can have an affect on your vision. Ocular disease can occur at any age. Our optometrist at Des Plaines Eye Care of Des Plaines, IL, are educated and trained to help diagnose, treat and manage all ocular disease.
Common Ocular Diseases
The most common ocular diseases are:
- •Refractive Error is a common vision problem. Nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism are the three most common. Glasses, contacts, or surgery can help correct vision due to refractive errors.
- •Age-Related Macular Degeneration occurs with aging and can damage the central vision. It is important to be screened for this condition if you have any family history of this condition.
- •Cataracts cause cloudiness in the eyes. They are one of the leading causes of blindness and vision loss and can occur at any age.
- •Diabetic Retinopathy is a complication of diabetes. It causes progressive damage of the blood vessels in the retina leading to bleeding and even swelling to the macula.
- •Glaucoma damages the optic nerve resulting in permanent and progressive side vision loss and blindness. This condition may be asymptomatic until its too late.
- •Amblyopia, or lazy eye, is a common ocular disease in children. It's caused when one eye doesn't develop properly.
- •Strabismus is an imbalance in the eyes' posture and can cause eyes to cross in or turn out. Each eye will be looking in a different direction and both eyes are unable to simultaneously focus at the same object.
Even though these are the most common ocular diseases, there are still many other. Contact your eye doctor today for a full comprehensive eye exam to evaluate your eye health and ensure no underlying issues are present.
Ocular Disease Treatment
Ocular disease require extensive monitoring and treatment . Sometimes surgery is even required. The earlier the disease detection is made the better the outcomes.
Schedule Your Eye Exam Today
If you're experiencing vision problems, you may be suffering from ocular disease. Call our Des Plaines, IL offices at Des Plaines Eye Care today to make an appointment. One of our optometrists can give you a comprehensive eye exam to determine your vision problems' and get you on the path to healthier vision.