Digital eye strain is a condition that affects the eyes when they are exposed to excessive amounts of digital light. It can occur when you use a computer or other electronic devices for prolonged periods, such as reading e-books or watching videos on your phone.
The condition involves the eyes tearing and itching and may be abnormally red and dry. The symptoms can be more severe when in contact with light or when you look at an electronic device, giving you a hard time completing your daily tasks. Our eye doctor at Des Plaines Eye Care Centre, IL, can help diagnose and treat the problem and help you get back to your routine fast. We are here to help preserve your eye health.
What Causes Digital Eye Strain
Several factors can cause digital eye strain, including:
- Poor lighting
- Screen glare
- Uncorrected vision problems
- Poor posture when using a computer
- Viewing a computer or other screens from the wrong distance.
People tend to blink less when staring at digital screens than when reading printed materials, which makes the eye dry, exposing them to eye strain. Some health conditions and medicines can also make you more vulnerable to the condition. For example, using antihistamines puts you at a greater risk of suffering from eye strain, and so does thyroid disease or other autoimmune diseases.
Symptoms of Digital Eye Strain
Digital eye strain symptoms include:
- Burning or stinging in the eyes
- Dryness and irritation of the eyes
- Blurred vision
- Eye fatigue
- Distorted colors in images
You can ease the severity of the symptoms by:
- Resting your eyes for a minimum of 15 minutes after every two hours of use of a digital screen
- Reducing the glare from the light source
- Remembering to blink more often when using digital devices
- Enlarging the text on your screen to reduce strain
- Facing away from your computer after every 20-minute interval, to a distance of at least 20 feet from your position. Look into the distance for at least 20 seconds.
- Consider using a screen glare filter when using a screen
How Can Des Plaines Eye Care Centre, IL, Help?
Our eye doctor will perform a complete eye exam and assess any medicines, environmental factors, and health problems contributing to your symptoms. We can test the sharpness of your vision and how well your eyes work together and focus.
We may dilate your pupils to get more detailed information about your condition. We may use a special tool to examine the back of your eye, and you may also need follow-up blood tests to determine healthcare problems contributing to the strain.
Reach Out to Our Doctor Today in Des Plaines, IL, for an Eye Check Up
After establishing the causes of your condition, our doctor will determine the proper course of treatment, which may include lubricating drops and advice on treating any allergies or conditions you may have.
She may also advise you on creating a favorable environment to improve eye comfort when using digital devices. Contact our eye doctor at Des Plaines Eye Care Centre in Des Plaines, IL, today to book an eye check up appointment and discuss your eye health. Call us at (224) 236-2020.